When Barack Obama joined Silicon Valley’s top luminaries for dinner in California last February, each guest was asked to come with a question for the president.
But as Steven P. Jobs of Apple spoke, President Obama interrupted with an inquiry of his own: what would it take to make iPhones in the United States?
Not long ago, Apple boasted that its products were made in America. Today, few are. Almost all of the 70 million iPhones, 30 million iPads and 59 million other products Apple sold last year were manufactured overseas.
Why can’t that work come home? Mr. Obama asked.
Mr. Jobs’s reply was unambiguous. “Those jobs aren’t coming back,” he said, according to another dinner guest.
One former executive described how the company relied upon a Chinese factory to revamp iPhone manufacturing just weeks before the device was due on shelves. Apple had redesigned the iPhone’s screen at the last minute, forcing an assembly line overhaul. New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight.
A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s dormitories, according to the executive. Each employee was given a biscuit and a cup of tea, guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day.
“The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,” the executive said. “There’s no American plant that can match that.”
25 Notes/ Hide
- thebeautyoflanguage reblogged this from maxistentialist
- burntbrain reblogged this from maxistentialist
- naranzarian likes this
- thecallup likes this
- ktbradford reblogged this from maxistentialist
- katyisntfunny likes this
- gerutha reblogged this from maxistentialist
- usetheloofa reblogged this from maxistentialist
- autobahn reblogged this from maxistentialist and added:
- gerutha likes this
- akratic likes this
- actsasanaxis reblogged this from maxistentialist
- flippedroundagain reblogged this from maxistentialist
- ghostisborn reblogged this from maxistentialist
- himynameisnotjoby likes this
- maxistentialist posted this